Ashington Parish Church (St Peter and St Paul)
Church Lane, Ashington, Pulborough, West Sussex RH20 3JX
The Parish church of St. Peter and St. Paul is of flint and stone, possibly of 15thC. origin, but was substantially rebuilt in 1871. It has two bells, one of which is stated to be one of the oldest bells in Sussex dating from the 13th century. It has recently undergone a substantial and carefully planned refurbishment (Re-ordering). This was to ensure that the changes tastefully blended with the beauty and style of this historic building. So the church now has comfortable seats, decent heating, WCs and a proper kitchen area to provide those needed refreshments following the service.
St Mary’s Church
The Street, Washington, West Sussex, RH20 4AS
In Washington, there has been a church on the site since at least 1174. St Mary’s was rebuilt in 1866, although the late 15thC tower is original. It is grade 2* listed. Like Ashington, the church has recently undergone a tasteful refurbishment with comfortable seats, toilet facilities and a well-appointed kitchen. The church is very much part of the Washington community, and remains open during daylight hours for visitors although it’s best to check opening arrangements ahead, if making a special visit.
All Saints Buncton
Water Lane, Wiston, Steyning, BN44 3DX
Until a few years ago, the Parish church of Wiston with Buncton was St. Mary’s Wiston, situated at Wiston House on the Wiston Estate. The church then became redundant and was leased to the Wiston Estate, its role being assumed by All Saints Buncton. All Saints is of Saxon origin but, despite being about a thousand years old, it is in good condition and is grade 1 listed. It is approached by a path from the road over a stream and through woods to the large, still open, churchyard, which surrounds the small church – a quintessential English country setting.
St Mary’s Wiston
Wiston House, Steyning Road, Steyning, BN44 3DZ
The church stands near the house in parkland beneath Chanctonbury Ring. It is listed in Domesday Book (13, 13) and though the two now stand alone, a probably C17 painting in the house shows the village stood here. The present house dates from 1576, but was transformed in the C19.